Powered By Blogger

Monday 25 March 2013





A couple of days ago,  I found out that today is cerebral palsy awareness day in the USA.I'm not from the USA (I'm from the UK), but this was the day that I felt I wanted to mark as important because I have been doing disability and cerebral palsy awareness 
work now since October last year which was when I started my Katherine Hayward my life with cerebral palsy Facebook page the link to which you can find here 
http://www.facebook.com/KatherineHaywardMyLifeWithCerebralPalsy?ref=hl
I started my awareness work, I have got to know a fair amount of people from the USA with cerebral palsy either through Facebook or YouTube.
As a person with cerebral palsy myself I have many life experiences to tell. In my case I don't just have cerebral palsy, but
 have hydrocephalus and severe eyesight difficulties which are registered as blindness.
So the question is this: why did I get into awareness work? Well, the answer for me is simple. Cerebral palsy is one of the most common childhood disabilities, yet it is largely misunderstood by people. Hydrocephalus is even less understood from my experience, but that's another story and one I'll blog about separately and also during Hydrocephalus Awareness Week.  . I guess from an early age , I got fed up with all of this ignorance 
from people regarding my cerebral palsy and hydrocephalus and in particular cerebral palsy and I was always eager to educate them about it. I was the first person in my primary school with complex 

physical disabilities, I have never liked society 's attitude towards disabled people.  I suppose that was something I always wanted to try and change, no matter how small my efforts seemed to people. Looking back, I kind of wish that I started the awareness work I do earlier in my life, as I'm really enjoying it and I like the fact that people respond positively to it and are interested in my story and 
what I have to say it based on what I live due to my disability as it's easy for them to maybe imagine what it's like to live as a person 
with multiple complex disabilities,  one of them being CP,  but I realise that the only people who actually know what it's like living with disabilities are the people who have them I spent a while preparing for today, and I have done a variety of awareness related tasks  during the day. I made a YouTube video and also posted different pictures related to cerebral palsy awareness on my Facebook page.Alfredo also painted my nails green and I wore green eyeshadow for the video, as I don't have green clothes, and I love makeup. All in all it was a very enjoyable day, and some of my Facebook posts today are some of my  most "viral" yet! :)
 It's all in a good cause and that's CP!







No comments:

Post a Comment