Powered By Blogger

Monday 3 December 2012

International Day of Disabled People 2012

Today is the International Day of Disabled People, which I found put about a few weeks ago whilst looking on YouTube for interesting videos for all my pages.. This, like November 17 (World Prematurity Day - about which I have another blog post) was a day I was especially looking forward to, as it spreads awareness of disabled people worldwide. I found out today whilst watching some current affairs programs on TV that today is actually part of Disability Week, which started on 27 November. Yesterday, there was a huge march in Madrid and today the same thing happened in Barcelona and Valencia, an opportunity for disabled people to assert their rights to care services, and anything else needed. 
I would have loved to have been there, but I saw good coverage on TV. I'm really glad today exists, although I don't think there's nearly enough done to promote it before the day, as it was lucky I looked on YouTube, or I wouldn't have known about it. I certainly wasn't aware it even existed this time last year!. Despite today being the day it is, I think society still has a long way to go in its 
acceptance of and 
provision for, disabled people. Even the level of understanding of disability in general is far from acceptable. I'm constantly having to explain about my cerebral palsy, hydrocephalus and the severity of my vision. I don't mind though, I'm quite happy to explain and always have been. 
I have to say, today has made me feel prouder than ever to be disabled: after all, I don't know any different, and my disability is, always was, and always will be part of me. Please feel free to see 
my blog post about World Prematurity Day
 http://katherinehaywardmylifewithcp.blogspot.com.es/2012/
11/yesterday-was-world-i-didnt-realise.html






No comments:

Post a Comment