Powered By Blogger

Friday 23 November 2012

No need to pity me!



Yesterday, I saw the above photo on a website and I immediately liked it. As  I have already said on my Facebook page, I do not like anybody pitying me because of my disability.I think this photo is a very simple but effective way of getting an important message across: that disabled people should not be pitied,  but that we  should be valued and appreciated for what we can do,our  talents and dreams  rather than belittled and made fun because of how we look,what we can't do and how we move or do something. I have heard people say to me " what a pity you have the disabilities you have " "what a pity you can't do this or you can't do that " "what a pity you can't join in or do what you want when you want" . This leads me on to saying that many of us with a disability due to our needs and how our  disability affects us ( which varies from person to person)  will find it difficult to be spontaneous and do what we want no matter how much we would love to be able to do so. All of us, no matter what our disability, have a lot to offer. I have posted various posts  on Facebook about what I have achieved in life and what am proud and thankful for. I think it is about time that people stop pitying disabled people and thinking that having a disability is a terrible thing when really  it is part of what makes us unique

No comments:

Post a Comment