Powered By Blogger

Monday 5 November 2012

My experience of Halloween and Bonfire night

So Halloween 2012 has come and gone. For me, this Halloween has been fun and different from other years. I'm not the kind of person to go out on Halloween and prefer to stay put, especially as the weather getting colder doesn't help. Not to grumble, but the cold causes me to feel uncomfy and get more spasms. Instead, a few days before the day I bought some Halloween muffins which were basically chocolate-chip muffins with an icing pumpkin on which I thought were cute (which were delicious by the way!) . I also made use of my iPad apps and sent halloween cards to family and friends. The day itself was quite a lazy one, spent watching halloween-themed films (I got quite in the spirit of it, I felt) and having my halloween makeup done. I chose a cat as my design as I'm known as "Kat" by family and friends. You can see my pictures on my Facebook profile page. http://www.facebook.com/katherine.hayward.94
Today in the UK is guy Fawkes night or "Bonfire Night". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night. 
 It has  always been my least favourite night of the year. Many don't understand why, but the explanation is that any loud or sudden noise causes my startle reflex to go haywire. This is common in a lot of people with cerebral palsy, and, to others, looks like I'm "jumping out of my skin", as my whole body spasms,  and causes a lot of stares. People ask what's wrong, or if it hurts me. The answer is no. People's reactions is to say I'm "jumpy" or "nervous" but it's nothing to do with that. Fireworks are absolutely no fun for me. I can see why they'd be for others, and it's a good excuse to get people together. That said, they do look pretty, I must admit. So, no offence to anyone who's planning to celebrate any event that involves fireworks, but I'll always turn the invite down. I now understand why my cat Tala prefers to spend the evening hiding under my bed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment