Powered By Blogger

Sunday 18 November 2012

Looking back on World Prematurity Day 2012



Yesterday was World  Prematurity  Day. I didn't realise this even existed until a couple of days ago as I was researching on Google for picture quotes and images for my page Katherine Hayward, my life with cerebral palsy. When I found information about world prematurity day, I thought this was a great chance to put a little bit more about me on my page and so next thing I know I'm uploading my baby photos to my Facebook page my feelings in general about prematurity day is that I think it is a really good cause to remember and share and spread the word about. I  am pleased that this cause  is also within the causes remembered this month. I think  premature birth is something that happens,  but that is not much talked about as it can be a very painful and upsetting subject for  people to talk about. Years ago I would get very upset looking at my baby photographs but over the years I have come to accept that that is   just what happened and how I ended up coming into the world. I feel.   really blessed having had an identical twin sister , and she is always in my thoughts. 
I think that organisations such as       Tommy's  and   
           March of Dimes do a wonderful job in spreading the word about premature babies, and thank all the hospitals I was in when I  was a   baby for doing their little bit to save my life and treat me at various stages throughout my life. These hospitals are Kingston Hospital, Kingston upon Thames , Surrey , UK and Queen Charlotte and Chelsea Hospital, London. Also great Ormond  Street Children's Hospital, London for fitting my first hydrocephalus shunt. In addition I owe huge thanks to what was then the Radcliffe Infirmary
 in Oxford for all their dedication and    care of my hydrocephalus which was problematic during the first   11 years if my life, and also those who I have seen at the John Radcliffe and Churchill Hospitals  in Oxford. I'm  indebted to all the staff on Dr María Eugenia García  Garcia's Neurology team at Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid as well as to her for all her help, faith and support. Thanks to staff at the Centro de Especialidades Modesto Lafuente, Madrid, and to Dr. Emma Jarvis, my GP at the University Of Reading Medical Practice for her kind and gentle manner. Thanks to Dr Augusto Lavilla 
Gómez, my ex-GP for your great sense of humor and efficient way of working.   Thanks also to my current GP Margarita Tejerina de 
Mata for being so patient and understanding, and thank you to all the nurses who saw me too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment