Powered By Blogger

Sunday 28 April 2013

Dewey's Readathon 2013 Day 1 and some of day 2


This time around ,  it wasn't hard to decide what to read, as I had already been reading my first-print-run version DEDICATION COPY of The Storyteller  by Jodi Picoult for a while, and so the first thing I did was try and finish it, this, as it happens is what I've just done – it's 9 30 AM on Sunday and yesterday I read 60 pages of the storyteller today I read the remaining pages, so I've already read 85 pages in total towards my Read-a-thon.
My aim is to read as much as I can before the deadline of 12noon  today which is when the Read-a-thon  finishes.I had wanted to finish The Storyteller  yesterday, but as it worked out I wasn't able to because I was too tired.today however, I was awake early so that I could finish it and start on a new book my view of this book was that it was really interesting and I think I found it interesting because I learnt about the Nazi period at school in my German classes. Jodi did a great job in this book of giving a very detailed account and I really like the way that the book was split into three parts, the first part being when Sage  met Josef at a grief group and the introduction of the other characters such as Mary,Minka ( Sage's grandmother)  and Leo and the atmosphere created by the description of the bakery and bread baking. Before reading this book, I had read the synopsis on the Goodreads  site, and on 25 March (the day before the high back was due to be released in the UK) I listened to an interview with Jodi Picoult  on Radio 2 in which she promoted the book. By that time, I had already pre-ordered my copy as I was desperate to read the book and have all of her other books
. This book was full of subject matter which made you think which was also very well researched.aside from the description of Nazi life and Sage's job working in the bakery.before I read the book, I read a couple of newspaper article reviews about it and it and they describe how how you could vividly imagine the smell of bread from the bakery and bread making process: this was true
. The   main themes are forgiveness,  right or wrong, trust, how our actions have consequences and how sometimes people are not who they seem and we may not know them as well as we think we do. At the beginning of this book , I was trying to work out who The  Storyteller  was, and I was interested in seeing the excerpts from a story at the beginning of each chapter and was trying to work out who had written the story . Also while reading the book I found I experienced many emotions: from anger as to how the SS guards treated the prisoners at the camps and I could imagine the atmosphere at the camps very well due to how Jodi  described it,  to sadness at the death of Sage's grandmother, and then happiness for Sage in her relationship with Leo. Relationships are also a theme in this book, and Sage managed to partly rekindle some of her relationship with her sisters during the time they spent together, you can also tell that she had a close relationship with her father, mother and grandmother.The  story is also a story of courage and what it takes to survive against the odds is the synopsis from Goodreads. I'd recommend this to everyone who loves Jodi Picoult books !

Sage Singer befriends an old man who's particularly beloved in her community. Josef Weber is everyone's favorite retired teacher and Little League coach. They strike up a friendship at the bakery where Sage works. One day he asks Sage for a favor: to kill him. Shocked, Sage refuses…and then he confesses his darkest secret - he deserves to die, because he was a Nazi SS guard. Complicating the matter? Sage's grandmother is a Holocaust survivor.


What do you do when evil lives next door? Can someone who's committed a truly heinous act ever atone for it with subsequent good behavior? Should you offer forgiveness to someone if you aren't the party who was wronged? And most of all - if Sage even considers his request - is it murder, or justice?(less)

No comments:

Post a Comment