Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 3 December 2014

My Thoughts About The International Day of People With Disability

Since I have known about the International Day of people with disabilities, I have written a blog post every year on that day. As a person who was born with spastic quadriplegia cerebral palsy and Hydrocephalus, I have never known what it was like to live without my disabilities. In my experience, I was born three months prematurely, and had a severe brain bleed on both sides of my brain which caused my disabilities, and my parents were told that I'd not be able to do anything.
I have, and can do many things: I'm bilingual (English and Spanish) I have written four novels, I am in a relationship and civil partnership and engaged to the love of my life. I have a university degree in geography, and a Cambridge University certificate for English as a second language teaching to adults.
I think that it is the day when people recognise disabilities, way as a group in society have fight  more for everything. I am also looking forward to the International Day of acceptance, which is run by 3E's wheelchair heart. I have two keep checking their first Facebook page because they told me that they don't know whether going to run the event in January next year. I was in the 25 best entries last January. What would be better though, would be to have society much more accepting people with disabilities the whole year round, and not just one day a month or week. People say that society is more accepting and the built environment are better adapted, but I beg to differ with that because I have had a lot of access is used throughout my life. People also need to be educated about how they talk to and relate to disabled people. A lot of us are cleverer than they think! I , for one, absolutely hate it when I am in a shop with my partner and they talk to him instead of me. When people what I want to eat/drink/do when they're idea of what I would like to do is not what I want to petrol. People always assume about what I "do with my day" –' I do a lot, I work on my box, and helped to do my exercises, or reading or go out. So people without disabilities do notunderstand people with them . Society has a long way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment