Powered By Blogger

Monday 13 October 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge Day 14: How To Search For Your New Home

Finding a new place to live can be really easy,or  really hard. Unfortunately for me and Alfredo, it is the latter, but we keep looking .
Here are some pointers to help you on the way to finding your new home:

Register for as many online property sites as you can, and registering with sites that post properties that are specifically accessible or adapted for people with disabilities will help as well. We registered on both kinds of sites.

Check them every day, even twice a week. Choose the frequency you think is best.
Look on online newspaper websites.

Create alerts on the property website type of housing and location, as well is the number of bedrooms you would like. The site will send you emails with properties that might suit you.
If you see a property that you would like, but that there aren't very many details in the description, email or phone the agent straightaway asking for more details. We have done, and they have made a note of my details, and told me they would get back to me if they find a property that matches my search criteria.

Ask around – ask friends that you know moved years ago, or more recently, or who are in the process of moving. Ask them what their experience of moving was , and ask them what they had to do to find their house. 

I did this, and some people were willing to tell me, while others were not so much, but I do realise that this is quite a personal thing to ask about. I am glad I did ask, as I have a better idea of what it really is like to be looking for a place.

Think of the kind of place you really want to live in for YOU, and do not be influenced to much by what other people say about a particular area they do not like if you like that area, and if living there would be convenient for you for some reason or if you just want to live there because you like the area or it is near family or friends.

Make a list of what the housing  absolutely HAS to have, and what is not so essential for you. 

Keep a note of the searches that you have done so that you can remember where you have look, and what the search results were .

Every once in a while , do a general Google search for housing sites: you might come up with housing sites that you haven't visited before. This will broaden your search.

Finally, have hope. I know from experience how frustrating and demoralising it is trying to find a place to live (believe me, we have been looking long enough! ) and to have people tell you that you shouldn't worry because one day something will come up. More than once , I have thought when will this end? When will we have that kind of stability where we are in a place we love living in? The answer to this is, I don't know, but, if I give the search up, we will never know. I am not the kind of person to give up easily. Neither is Alfredo. This is one of the reasons we are a great team. 


No comments:

Post a Comment