Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 15 October 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge Day 16: 11 Years Without You

Today is a sad day for me and my family. It is now 11 years to the day since my grandfather, Terrence Barton Kelly, passed away. I can remember that day well. It was 2003, and I was at Reading University, two weeks into my final year. This was the most crucial year of my geography degree, and I  was in my bedroom when the phone rang. My flatmate Annabel King passed the phone to me. I answered it and it was my Gran. She sounded different. The usually bubbly lady was subdued , and I knew she had a right to be. The next sentences took my breath away: she said that my grandfather was in hospital, and that he was extremely ill.I asked what has happened to him, and she said that he had had a stroke. He hadn't been well for years at that point, as  years before this, he fell down the stairs and was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy which affected his balance and walking.
 My grandfather was a trained architect, and had worked in London for years. I really enjoyed talking to him about anything, he was very open and honest, and also had a great sense of humour. He was really proud of each and every one of us in the family and never singled  me out because of my disabilities. He treated me like one of the rest .
Despite his health issues, he carried on with life as best as he could. I will always remember him criticising Big Brother, or  sitting out on the garden bench listening to his books on tape. He also had glaucoma. As soon as I finish talking to my Gran , I  was in  tears , and my flatmates came to comfort me. I then rang my mum. 
 I went back and forwards on the train or  bus between Wallingford and Reading for a couple of weeks before I quickly decided that, as much as I wanted to, I could not stay in the house I shared  with my friends, as I could not concentrate on my work. I decided to finish my final year of study living at my parents' house in Wallingford.  
I still went into the University everyday and used the university library when I needed to, but I did not see my flatmates again until graduation the following summer in July. My carers  and the people who helped me in  my lectures were very understanding and said I did not have to go to the lectures, and they would go on my behalf, but I went to my lectures, took my exams and finished my degree on time. All this time, I told myself that there was no way that my grandfather would like to see me abandon University, (but doing  this did cross     my mind). Even so, I continued with my degree when I felt my worst. My grandad's funeral was the first I had ever been to in my life and it was packed with people my grandparents knew, but I didn't know many people.
I will never forget you, Pa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment