Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 22 October 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge Day 23: A Tense Time


I never really watched the news when I was younger (say, in my teens) but in recent years, I have got really interested in it. I like watching programmes on medical issues, and also like news stories about medical issues. I have been following the current story about ebola, especially as it is happening to someone here in Madrid. As my partner Alfredo really likes current affairs programmes, I watch them as well. This morning, I was pleased to learn that, after various tests that came out negative,Teresa Romero was found to be free of the virus.
It it is one thing to hear about viruses, and watch films with virus – related themes , but quite another to have something as huge as this happen. It has really been a tense  15 days of watching the news and waiting to see what was going to happen. I felt sad about them having to put her dog   down, and for all she was going through. I also really felt for, and feel for , her mother , all those miles away in Galicia northern Spain . The newspapers were, and are, full of news, about this, and I could hear in the doctor's voices how happy they were as they declared Teresa virus free. 
The lesson that can be learnt from this is that the world needs to have better preparation in situations like this, as too many people have died from it. From today onwards, Teresa and her family, Spain, and the world, can celebrate that someone has survived and been cured of this horrible disease, as in the newspapers she confessed to a friend that there was a point she thought she was going to die. What this also brings home for me is how fragile life really is. 



Teresa Ronero, the nurse's assistant who has got through the ebola virus 

The hospital she is in 
Ambulance transfer 

No comments:

Post a Comment