Powered By Blogger

Saturday 25 October 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge Day 26: What I Like and Don't Like About IOS 8.1 So Far

YRecently, I downloaded iOS 8.1 as I wanted to keep my iPad up-to-date up-to-date, and when I update it, I prefer to update as soon as possible. I had to wait a while for the software to update, so I was catching up on my reading while my iPad was updating. 

The first thing I noticed was that on the menu screen, there are now buttons for podcasts and also tips for helping you to use your iPad better and getting the most out of it.

New  applications additions to the iPad desktop

The biggest change I notice about the new operating system for the iPad is that the browsing history is in the same large lettering as my emails and comes up right next to the  favourites  menu screen  which means it is very easy to locate, whereas before I had to activate the history button before I could see it. To hide it, you just press the history icon (highlighted in blue below). 

Large lettering used on iPad history (same size as configured for emails) 


The other great advantage is that notifications and alerts are now shown in bigger lettering than before. Before this update came out, I had real trouble seeing the updates. I knew that there was an update because I had my sound on on my iPad, but I could not read the update at all. Now, the updates stay down longer and the type is bigger. This still does not make them really easy to read for me, but it is more obvious for me when I get a notification. What I notice is that the history is now in the same size type as I chose for my emails, which for me is the largest one on the iPad. That makes that much easier to see than before, as beforehand the lettering was much too small for me to be able to read my history. I refer back to my history a lot if I visit a page I do not use often , and can't remember the name of it, but sometimes I happen to remember the date and roughly what the page was about, so I look on my history, find the date and then I am able to find the page.

Another improvement I have noticed with iOS 8.1 is that the photos within my iPad are better organised, and they also organised in a section called Moments  which clearly shows the photos I have taken or saved to my iPad in chronological order (by day), so if I want to share the photos that I have recently taken/saved to my iPad, then my easiest option is to look within this category, as, as  I said in my last post, the action of scrolling is very difficult and painful for me because of the tightness in my muscles in my hands, fingers and arms. Is also very time-consuming too, so it is best for me to use this moments category to be able to go straight to the photo that I want.

What the photo Moments subcategory looks like 

If it does not appear there , I will just go into my camera on the iPad desktop and select it from there, but using the moments option in the photos menu section is much easier  even than this. The menu for inserting photos into Blogger is now colour-coded, which makes it a lot easier to see: 

Colour-coded photo options menu in Dragon dictation 






The moments submenu opens out to look like this- to select a photo, just touch the one you want, and then select where to insert it. 

What the Moments photo submenu looks like when open 


 One thing that I have got used to now, but that was a bit confusing at first, was that now on the main menu, the two squares that are one behind the other like a copy sign does not actually copy what is on the webpage, but it actually minimises the webpage so that you have a menu to be able to see the, page, or pages, that you have visited. Therefore, the only way I can see to copy the web page address (for example, which is something that I do when I want to share images to Pinterest, or if I want to share a link in my blog) is to highlight the page address cut or copy and then paste it where I want it.

Minimize icon 



on the keyboard in general, and also when you in fDragon dictation, there are suggestions for words so that if you want a word, you just have to touch it and it appears on the screen.
Suggested words on the keyboard itself, even in Dragon dictation ! 

Keyboard with suggested words in Blogger app 


Keyboard with suggested words in Dagon dictation! 


I did notice that the icons on some apps (such as Paint Gallery for iPad) were smaller than before. This is not a problem for me, as I remember the order they are in on the screen. I use this app a lot to annotate pictures like I have in this and other blog posts throughout the challenge, and also to experiment with different designs and lettering when creating my novel cover ideas so I can get an idea of what the final product will look like. 



Small icons in PaintGallery app after IOS 8.1 update 

That is just a brief outline of the changes I have noticed, and how I use my iPad now that it has the new software, but if I think of any more things than I will add them into this blog post in the future.
 If you have an iPad, I hope that you enjoy using it as much as I do, and also enjoy the new updates that come out every so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment