Powered By Blogger

Monday 6 October 2014

30 Day Blogging Challenge Day 9 : How I Joined The (3E Loves Wheelchair Heart) Movement

I have always wanted people to be aware of my disabilities, but I  never wanted to be defined by them. However, growing up with some people defining  me by my disabilities was inevitable, so, a few years ago, back in 2012, I decided to spread disability awareness online.
It was one day while I was looking online that I came across a page called 3e Loves Wheelchair Heart. I read it, and was immediately drawn to the site by its mission, to spread disability awareness and acceptance worldwide. 
I also really like the symbol.


 It is simple and effective, and, by using some part of the traditional symbol for a person with disabilities, is immediately recognisable, but also unique, as part of the symbol has been changed to form a heart shape. The site's motto is Embrace, Empower, Educate. These   three words have a huge, wide – reaching meaning. Annie, cocreator of the site's legacy lives on through the site and her brother Stevie who is in charge of it now, after her death in 2009, wanted you to embrace your disabilities, or health condition. which in turn would empower you as  a person to educate people about it. That is the way that I see it anyway. I am a total shopaholic and I love fashion, and I am always on the lookout for different clothing. When I saw that they had T-shirts and other clothes and accessories on sale, I immediately browsed  the site, and it wasn't until christmas 2012 that I was the proud owner of a hoodie  from the company, 



as well as a tote bag (which I use for my swimming stuff) (I have it in purple) 

and temporary transfers.


 The hoodie was from my parents, and the other things were from my sister and her husband. The hoodie is in  Cranberry , and  has  the classic heart logo but incorporated into the word love. In April 2013, my parents gave me the sterling silver heart necklace as an Easter present.


In January 2014, I ordered a vintage style T-shirt in sunset orange, with bracelets in pink and red, and an I HEART LIFE badge. 



 Me, christmas 2012 

Me Summer 2014 wearing my vintage tshirt! 

Next on my list are perhaps another vintage T-shirt in a different colour, and also either a  longsleeved T-shirt or casual T shirt. In December, it is my birthday so I will take the opportunity to ask for something then, all I might even buy some beforehand. In fact now, the site has a sale on. The sale is only valid until this Sunday (october 12) so don't miss out!  There are regular sales throught the year, so keep checking the website as well as Facebook and Twitter :) 


3e Loves Wheelchair Heart  is not only about buying things, but is also about spending that message that no matter what disability or health condition we have, we all have stories to tell, and we should live our life to the fullest however we can. Each January, the website hosts an essay contest which finishes on 20 January, which is the international Day of Acceptance  (IDOA) of people with disabilities and health conditions. 
Last January, I was within the top 25 entries in terms of the most votes (in fact I was  in position 19 out of 25), and that was something that I was really proud of. I got into the final round, but I did not win a cash prize. Cash prizes go to the top three winners, and one person gets an honourable mention . The aim of the competition is to write about what the Wheelchair symbol means to you aside from answering other questions in your entry, such as how YOU spread awareness. People can vote for your entry, and all you need to have is a Facebook account. Each  person with a Facebook account is allowed to vote once per day. Nearer the time, I will remind you again about how the contest works. I definitely want to participate this coming January! and every year afterwards.  I got a lot of support from my family and friends last year, and it was a very fun thing to do. Here is a link to the website http://www.3elove.com/
and if you want to learn more, 3E love is on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/3elove
 If you like their vision values and social message, then I would suggest you follow them.
Here are the ways they suggest you can join http://www.3elove.com/pages/join-the-movement
And lastly, I am not brave enough to get a real tatoo, but you can show off your 3e ink (3e  loves wheelchair heart tatoos here http://www.3elove.com/pages/3e-ink

2 comments:

  1. I love the heart and wheelchair symbol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, no doubt I will order more things from them. It is a unique symbol

      Delete