Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 2 October 2013

HAPPY WORLD CEREBRAL PALSY AWARENESS DAY 2013

  As I write this on the eve of Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day 2013, I'm conscious that I'm very excited about tomorrow whereas other people may not be so into raising awareness as I am. People can raise awareness in different ways , through charity events, writing blogs, articles, producing awareness pamphlets leaflets and suchlike . I decided to raise awareness by creating a Facebook page entitled Katherine Hayward my life with Cerebral Palsy , which turned a year old on 19 September this year. This page began as a small seedling and has grown into something bigger than I could have imagined, thanks   to  the support of my page fans, who have provided encouragement and support for me on this incredible journey. Creating a Facebook page , to some, may seem a predictable way to promote my awareness work , but it has helped me get my voice heard on the awareness front. I'd never considered awareness work before, although I'm a naturally sensitive person towards others with disabilities of all kinds , due to having disabilities myself. I know and experience first- hand what it's like to be rejected, doubted, put- down, criticised stared at and bullied because of my complex needs and multiple disabilities. But that said, the mix of spastic quadriplegia cerebral palsy, hydrocephalus which requires a shunt, and severe eyesight difficulties which manifest themselves as nystagmus, bilateral convergent squint , hemianopsia and being registered legally blind as well  as being an electric wheelchair user with added muscle spasms, convulsions and severe incontinence are just a part of who I am. 
I don't see myself as any different to anybody else, I laugh, cry, fall in love (and did 7 1/2 years ago and am  still very much in love with Luis Alfredo Pérez Soto) and am very girly despite my 31 years of age, I love shopping, fashion and beauty and listening to music. I've already set goals for this year's World CP day , to spread awareness, obviously, but also get to know people and blog more. I've also got a video in the pipeline , so it should be an interesting day. I hope I can get more people to send in photos for the video if they want to be featured there, but I'll totally understand if they don't. Thanks very much in advance to those who do wish to take part by sending me a photo. 
Anyway, it's late for me now and I must get some rest. When the time comes , wherever you are in the world, I hope you have a nice rest and wake refreshed to be able to enjoy tomorrow to the full, as , for one day only, the World will come together to celebrate having CP . 
See you tomorrow for the big day! As I write this, the clock shows midnight, so in a way the big day is here.....

No comments:

Post a Comment